My Life on Earth

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Do you love?

This morning while I was doing my Bible study, I was reading the story in Luke 7:36-50 about Jesus being anointed by a sinful woman. First, let me start by saying the story in Luke is a different account then the one in Matthew, Mark, and John. Those books tell about Jesus in Bethany and Mary of Bethany anointed His feet. In Luke, this account is just of a sinful woman whose "faith saved her".

Anyway, as I was reading through this story, I got to Luke 7:47, "'Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.'" Then I asked the question of myself, do I love much or little. I believe I love much, but how much? In worldly eyes, I have sinned little, but in God's eyes, I have sinned much. In worldly eyes, I am better than many, but in God's eyes, I am no better than a murderer, adulterer, or thief. Do you believe you are better than others, or do you know that you are a wretched sinner?

So when I looked at Luke 7:41-43, I realized I do love much. Jesus says to Simon, 'Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more? Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." In God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin, no matter what that sin is. Therefore, you can only come to the conclusion that we have all debted much; therefore, we should all love much.


Are you truly thankful for the forgiveness of your sins? Do you truly appreciate what Christ did on that cross for you? Have you ever put or saw your sins hanging on that cross with Christ? I have, and it is overwhelming. I can not describe the grief and relief I experienced when I truly placed my sins on that cross. Christ in all his perfectness died for me, He choose to die for me and for you.

Nehemiah 9:17 says, "...you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Therefore you did not desert them..." What a picture of Christ. I know my God, THE God is slow to anger and abounding in love, do you?

No comments: