My Life on Earth

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Whose got pride?

You know when God wants you to listen and you listen, but not completely. Well, that has happened to me lately. God as been showing me in small steps, praise God, that I am a prideful person. I never knew that I was until he started showing me that. I used to be the Sparks director for Awana at our church and the fellowship director for four and a half years, and one day I up and quit those things. I thought it was because God wanted me somewhere else. Which I still believe to be partly true. But now I know it was more because I was prideful over those things. I don't really know why, but I was. So I then began to repent and ask God to show me other areas of pride in my life. By the way, don't ask if you don't want to know, because God will show you.

So, yesterday while reading and doing my Bible study, the author of the book says "Often our thoughts run to 'what do they think of me?' when what we should be concerned with is 'what do they think of Him?' Keeping one eye on an "Eli" when you worship will keep you from focusing on the Lord and giving Him the glory He deserves. But focusing single-mindedly on gaining God's approval will pave the way for you to hear His voice." Well, that might not mean much to some, but it means the world to me, but when I read that God immediately started showing me things I had done out of pride. OUCH!!!!

In Matthew 6 Jesus says, "Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." OUCH OUCH!!!! In this chapter he is referring to giving to the needy, prayer and fasting. When God wants you to get it you will, but you may not like it. Right now I don't and the flood gates are open. But the amazing thing is that all I have to do is ask for forgiveness and trust God to tell me and listen, before I make those mistakes again. What a loving Father, we may not like it sometimes, but it is always for our best.

No comments: