My Life on Earth

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Question of the Day...

Question: How am I doing it? (saving that is)

Answer: Well, it is a combination of adverstised specials, coupons, and stock piling.



So here are a few examples, using my Publix lute from last week. The Nabisco wheat thins and triscuts are normally $2.75 per box. At Publix last week, they were on sale buy 1 get 1 (b1g1); which made them $1.38 and $1.37 per box. A great price so buy two, whether you currently need two or not, just check the expiration dates to get a long one. Well, to top that off, by couponing, I also had 2 $1.00 off coupons for a box of wheat thins and a box of triscuts. So, at the end I paid $.38 and $.37 per box of crackers a total savings of $2.37 per box or $4.74 for both.

Example number 2: Orville Redenbacher popcorn is normally $4.89 per box. Last week at Publix, they were b1g1; which reduced them to $2.45 and $2.44 per box. Yet again this is a great price, so buy 2, not 1, it won't go bad before you eat it, but most likely will not go back on sale before you want more. Then by couponing, I had a $.50 coupon for the regular size bags and a $.50 coupon for the mini bags (great for kids). But it gets better than $1.95 and $1.94 per box, because Publix, as well as Kroger, double coupon all the time up to $.50. So, the end result was I paid $1.45 and $1.44 per box of popcorn that would normally cost $4.89 per box a savings of $3.44 per box or a total of $6.88.

Example number 3: Clorox 2 ultra 2x stain fighter and color protector is normally $6.19 per bottle. Last week Publix had it on sale for $3.99 per bottle. A great price, but it gets better, because I had a two $1.50 coupons per bottle. So of course I picked up two bottles. Do I currently need 2, NO, will it go bad, NO, should I buy two, YES. So, I paid $2.49 per bottle for a product that would normally be $6.19 a total savings of $3.70 per bottle.

I think you are probably getting the idea as to how this works using the sale papers and coupons. A plus, I am now buying things I would never have bought before, because I can get them cheaper than the store brand now.

Question: Where do the coupons come from?

Answer: The Sunday paper, coupons.com, smartsource.com, and redplum.com. I have also used a new site this past week, thecouponclipper.com. You have to pay for the coupons on that site, which I did last week, I got $40.00 ($80.00 if doubled) worth of coupons for $5.75. The advantage to that site is you can pick what you want and how many you want. I will let you know if it was worth it or not before you use it. Other great sites that I use are moneysavingmom.com and fistfullofcoupons.blogspot.com. These ladies link you to coupons and great deal at other stores. They each also explain the CVS and Walgreens game really well.

This is a time consuming undertaking; however, I am finding it worth the time and effort. I saved over $400.00 dollars last month and I am on my way to or greater than that for this month. Yesterday we had friends over, grilled 3 racks of baby back ribs, one package hot dogs with buns, potato salad (homemade), and salad, oh and paper plates (chinet) and out of pocket I spent approximately $18.00. SALES baby, that is the way to go.

No comments: